The Ghadir Sermon
The Closing Sermon of God's Prophet, Muhammad (Peace be upon him and his descendants):
1. “Praise belongs to Allah, Who is Sublime in His Oneness, and He is with all beings in His Loneliness. Glorious is He in His Domination, and He is great in His Foundations! His Knowledge encircles all beings without taking a move or having a dwelling; He subdues everything with His Power and Reasoning! He has eternally been praised, and so will be praised forever! There is no end to His Greatness, Dignity and Grandness; He is the Originator, Resurrector, and to Him all things return.
2. He is the Maker of the heavens, as well the expander of the Earth, and He is Ruler over them; He is [beyond all beings], and He is Glorified and Sanctified. So is He the Lord of the Angels, and the Spirit! He favours all creatures that He has created! His Grace is expanded to all that He has created. He perceives the eyes [of all beings], while no eyes can see Him; He is the most Generous, Patient and Calm. His Mercy cuddles the whole entity; He favours them with His Bounty. He is Serene in His revenge, and is Patient to the pain-deserved!
3. He is Aware of the secrets, and is discerned of thoughts, the covered are discovered to Him, and the hidden manifest. It is His to hold everything, and dominate it. The Source of strength is He, and is Powerful over everything. There is no comparable unto Him.
It is He Who has created things out of absolute 'Nil'. He is Immortal, Alive, and is the Spreader of Justice; there is no deity but Him, the Wise Almighty.
4. No eyes can see Him but he perceives all eyes; He is aware of the secrets [of men], and is informed of all things. No one can attribute Him by means of seeing, and no one can appreciate His Being by His concealment or manifestation, but only what the 'Glorified' wills us to know.
5. I testify that He is Alone ‘God’, the One Whose Sanctity has filled up the whole world; and His Light has prevailed the Eternity! Without any counselor He enacts His proper Command, and has no ally in His Providence; and without aid, He does His plans and measures.
6. Without an initial plan for creation, He has shaped and fashioned all beings with help of no one – with no effort, not thinking about, and without having had recourse, He has brought the world to being from ‘Nil’, His will has brought them to existence.
Thus, He is God, the Almighty; there is none as a deity but Him! It is He Whose Artistry is solid and firm, and [the Structure of His] Work is fair! He is Just; He does not commit oppression, and He is so generous that to Him return all things.
7. And I testify that He is God that all beings humble before His Dignity, and all are debased before His Glory; everything bows as submission before His Power, and all things are in state of humility before His tremendous and impressive Majesty!
8. He is the King of all beings, and the roller of the encircling heavens, He submits the sun and the moon to His bid to move just according to a time limit. He rolls up the night in the day; moreover, He wraps up the day into night which each goes rapidly: one after other, (The Heights: 7/54). He is the destroyer of any oppressive tyrant, and the eliminator of the rebellious, insurgent demon!
9. There is neither an opponent for Him, nor is anyone equal to Him. He is the One Who needs none! He is not born, and He has not given birth to anyone, there is nothing comparable unto Him; (The Sincerity: 112). He is the Unique God, and the Glorious Lord. He wills, and carries out! He intends, and ordains, He is All-Knowing, and thus, He calculates [things]. He gives life and sends death. He impoverishes [one] and enriches [another], He sends mirth or makes one cry; He draws closer or moves away; He forbids [one] then grants! To Him belongs the Sovereignty, and to Him go all praises and lauds! And He is Capable of [doing] everything.
10. He merges the night into the daylight, and the daylight into the night. There is no God but Him, Who is Glorious and Forgiving. He answers the appeals and fulfills prayers, grants abundantly and counts the numbers of breaths; He is the Lord of Jinn and Mankind, nothing is baffling to Him.
The cries of the criers do not distress Him, nor does the insistence of those who insist, bother Him! He is the Guardian of the pious, and the Assistant of the lefteous; the Guardian of the believers, and the Lord of the universe! He deserves to be praised and glorified by all those have been created.
11. I greatly thank, and eternally praise Him: not only in tranquility or in hardship, nor in extreme difficulty, but also in peace and serenity. I believe in Him and His Angels, in His Scriptures, and His Messengers! I heed His Commands and obey Him. I hasten to do whatever pleases Him, and I submit myself to His Command for I am inclined to obey Him, and I fear His chastisement. For indeed: He is such a God that no one remains safe from His Astuteness; and no one fears His Injustice – (for there comes no injustice from Him)!”
12. “And now, I confess to my servitude to Him, so do I confess to the Divinity of His: and I carry out my duty concerning the Revelation has announced to me, in fear that if I were not to execute it, such a torment might befall on me that no one could eliminate it – even though having a great astuteness, and his friendship be sincere [to me]! There is no God but Him, for He has announced to me that if I do not proclaim to you [the Fact] that concerning Ali, (peace be upon him) has been stated to me, I have not fulfilled my mission as a Messenger of God. And God has guaranteed me of His protection against the people's corruption, for God is Generous, all-Sufficient. So, God has revealed to me thus:
‘In the name of Allah (Who's) the most Merciful Bountiful
(O Messenger of Us)!
Announce this Message that; to you
Being sent from your Great Lofty Lord:
[Regarding Ali, and Command of Ali]
Or else, then you have not carried
Your own task as a left Messenger of His;
‘DEFENDER’, from reproach of men, God is.’ (The Table: 5/67)
13. “O people! I have not been neglectful about publicizing what has been delivered to me by God. Now, I am to explain to you the cause of the Revelation of this Verse: Gabriel, bearing His Command, came down to me thrice from ‘Peace’, the Creator – for only He is [the source of] Peace – he brought it to me that to stand amid this vast mass and deliver God's Command. Now, I announce you the coloured or white that: Ali, the son of Abu Talib, is [as] a brother to me, and he is my executor, and successor to lead my people as an Imam after me! His relation to me is as Aaron to Moses is, except for no other messengers will follow me. After God and His Messenger, Ali is going to be your Conserver, and God has sent down a Verse saying: ‘Verily, your Guardian is Only God, His Messenger and the believers who pray and pay alms while are bowing down,’ (The Table: 5/55). Surely it is Ali who did set up prayer, and while bowing [down to pray], paid out alms, and always sought the Will of Almighty God.”
14. “And I asked Gabriel to beseech Almighty God so that He may discharge me from this duty of mine, because I well knew the scarcity of the virtuous, but the excess of the deceivers; and the vices of the blamers, as well who scald, and the deceit of those who insult Islam – those whom God has defined in His Book that: ‘They say what does not exist in their hearts, and they take it of very little importance, while it is of the utmost importance to God,’ (The Light: 24/25).
15. Also because the frauds have always annoyed me, and have called me: ‘He is all ears, listening to every word!’ [It was] just because of Ali's following me, and because of my deep attachment to him, and my fond attention toward him, and because of my approval of him. It was until then God sent this Verse down saying: ‘And of those some annoy Messenger and say, "He is only an ear.’" [But o Messenger] say: "An ear, yes, but it is good for you; for he [listens but to the Revelations of God], which is of your benefit. [He] believes [in God], and trusts [the believers] – taking them all the serious lefteous. Surely for them is a painful chastisement …” (The Repentance: 9/61).
Had I wished, I could name those who use these words, or I could point them out to you one by one; and had I wished, I could lead you to them but I swear to God that I have behaved gracefully and generously towards them.
16. But, despite this, God may not be pleased with me if I do not let you know what has been revealed to me, about Ali, [then he recited God's Words]: ‘…
O Messenger! Announce what has been sent down to you from Your Lord [about Ali, (PBUH). And if you do not then, you would not have fulfilled your duty as the Messenger of God. Surely God protects you from the annoyance of the mischievous people;’” (The Table: 5/67).
17. “O People! Know that this Verse is about him: so perceive it thoroughly and know that God has picked him as your Defender, and appointed him as your 'Leader'. His obedience is bound to the Immigrants, the Allies, and those who obey them in fairness; so is for the villagers and the citizens, the non-Arabs as well the Arab clans, and for the freemen and the servants; for all – young, old, black and white, and for every Monotheist whosoever!
You are bound to achieve his decision and word, and to obey his instruction! Whosoever opposes him is damned; and whosoever obeys him and regards, receives the Grace of God. God delivers and forgives whosoever gives ear and obeys him!
18. O people! It is my final rising in such a [huge] gathering. Thus, listen, and then obey well [the Words of] God! And submit yourselves to His Command! For God Almighty is your Master and your Lord; and after God, your Master is the Messenger of God, the Prophet, who is at present calling out to you. And after me, according to the Divine Command, Ali is your Master, and your Leader, [Imam]. Then after him, the Leadership will be preserved, and perpetuated in my progeny, by his lineage, until the Day of Judgement when you come to encounter your God and His Messenger.
19. Nothing is lawful but whatever God and His Messenger, and the Imams permit; and nothing is forbidden to you, unless God, and His Messenger, as well as Ali, and the next Imams forbid it. God, glory to Him in the highest, has stated to me all about permissible and the forbidden, and whatever lawful and unlawful that God has taught me in His Book, I have put it all in Ali’s disposal.
20. “O people! Prefer [the superiority of] Ali to others, for there is no knowledge that God has offered me, and then, I have offered it to Ali, the Leader of the believers – all knowledge of mine has been transferred to him. He is the ‘The clarifying Leader (Imam-e-Mobin)’; so doubtless that it is said in (Yaasin: 36/12), ‘Thus We have accounted, the knowledge of all things in the Exposing Book of Guidance!’
21. O people! Never forget him, and do not deviate from his Leadership, and do not violate his guardianship. He is one, who guides you to path of Truth, and he himself does all what he discloses; he ruins lies, deceits, and he bars artifice. Never can the reproaches of who blame [annoy and bother, or] cease him in his way!
22. He is the first man to believe in God, and to His left Messenger who believed was Ali; no one has ever beaten him ‘In His Doctrine’!
It was he who put his soul in danger for the sake of Messenger, and he adored him. It was he who was always next to the Messenger of Almighty God, and prayed God along with Him – it was no one but Ali.
23. “Ali is the first man to establish prayer with me. I informed him of God’s Command that to lie on my bed, [on the Night of Immigration], so did he accepted to sacrifice his soul for me.
‘Bid him I, to lie in bed of mine, the Night
Threatened hazard me – he did with delight,
He did sacrifice soul of his for me, and
Away journeyed I, dim within, off the Land.’”
24. “O people! Honor him greatly; for God Almighty has honored him – do accept the ‘Bid’, for the Almighty God has chosen him as the ‘Imam’.
25. O people! He has been picked as Imam by God; therefore, He does not accept the repentance of the deniers. It is the absolute God’s will on those opposing Truth. Beware of opposing him in ill-will, or you will be caught up by the Fire whose fuel is stones and stone-men that have been prepared for all faith-rejecters!
26. O people! I swear to Almighty God that the bygone messengers have announced ‘Fact’, about my coming: now here, I am proof for the whole world – on the earth, and in the heavens. Accordingly who doubts about my leftfulness, he will be among the early ignorance. And one who doubts about my today’s percept, will doubt the entire ‘REVELATIONS’, and one who doubts about one of the Imams, he doubts not one of them but all! And the denier: i.e. those who doubt Us, will be dwelt within the Fire.
27. O people! God has extremely honored me, and bestowed His immense favours upon me, and know that, ‘There is no deity but Him! And know that all praise, through all Eternity, and in all occasions belongs to Him only.
28. O people! Honor Ali, for he is indeed the best of men next to me among you, men and women! This will continue until the creatures exist on land and until God sends His provision to man! May one be damned, may damned thus! May one be buried in Wrath, in Divine Wrath: who refuses [listening to] my say, or agrees not with what I have just said.
Know that Gabriel brought me this news of God, [saying]: "One who rises against Ali, and does not accept his Leadership, then, let My wrath, and My course fall upon that type. It is just for a man to see what [good or bad] he has forwarded for his tomorrow – Next Day. Thus, fear God, for by opposing Ali, lest your foot may slip after it is planted and found root! For indeed God is Aware of everything you do!
29. O people! He is indeed the one next to God, and God has remarked about whom, in His Lofty Book, and He has stated about those who oppose him: ‘Alas! How negligence I was at neighborhood of Allah!’”
30. “O people! Do deeply reflect on the Holy Qur'an, and try to catch the Verses’ sense and comprehend, then try to observe the even Verses of its, but do not dazzle at resembled Verses. By God! Whatever is deeply rooted in it, and the true meaning and the sense of its cannot be well explained to man, except by this man that I am holding his hand high; now I announce that: ‘Whomsoever I am master to, so is this Ali to him master!’
And he is none but Ali, the son of Abu Talib, my brother, my successor and my help, whose Leadership’s Decree, has been sent to me from God, Almighty:
31. O people! It is obvious that Ali and my pure descendants born in this family represent the minor benefit, and the Qur'an represents major.
Either of these two heralds, and relates to another, or they are in harmony with one another: they will not separate from each other until they come to me at ‘Kawthar’, (on that Certain Day)! Let it be known that: they are the Trustees of God among His creatures, and are rulers by His Command on the earth.
32. Thus, know that I have done my duty, and let it be known that I have conveyed the communiqué, and made you hear the truth, and bleftened you about. Let it be known that it was God Word and I repeated it on His behalf:
33. Thus, let it be known that except this brother of mine, no one can be called the ‘Lord of the Believers’, who is here [as] a brother with me. And let it be known that: after I am gone, the title of, ‘The Lord of the Believers’ is not allowed to be used by anyone except for him!”
34. Then he added: “O people! Who is to you, in most privilege than you yourselves?” They said, ‘It is God, and His prophet – you.’ So he said, “Now let it be known that, “Whosoever I am a master to, so is Ali his master.” Then he added: “O Lord: please love those who love his Authority, and be the enemy to one who is his enemy. And assist one who helps him, but do not support one who holds him apart.
35. O people! This is Ali, [as] my brother, executor and so is he my [aide and] Knowledge keeper! And he is my successor for my people who, believe in me, and he is my successor who aided me in the interpretation of the Book of God, and he is the one who will invite people to that. He puts into practice whatever pleases God, and he makes war against the enemies of His. And he befriends those who believe in Him, and forbids the things outlawed by Him.
36. It is he, who is the successor of the Messenger of God; the Lord of the Believers, and the Imam who guides [people] by the Command of God; and by His Command, he destroys those wicked who break their oaths, the vicious who turn away from goodness and lefteousness – and those heretic who ran away from the religion!
37. God Almighty States: ‘My Word of Promise never displaces.’”
“O Lord! Thus I say according to Your Command: ‘O Lord! Love those who love this Ali, and be foe to them, who are the foes of Ali, assist those who enjoy assisting Ali and abase him who declines to help this Ali. Do curse whosoever disavows him, and send Your Wrath upon them!’”
38. “O Lord! When You Yourself appointed Ali as the Guardian, You sent down this Verse about him and announced: ‘Today, I have perfected your religion for you, and I have completed my Blessing upon you, and I have approved Islam as Religion for you; (The Table: 5/3). And also You stated: “In fact, religion in sight of God is Islam, (The Family of Imran: 3/9); You also stated: “And whoever chooses any religion other than Islam, it will not be accepted from him, and in the Hereafter, he will be among the losers,’” (The Family of Imran 3/85).
39. “O Lord! I take You as a Witness that I uttered people Your Command.
40. “O people! God, glory to Him in the highest, has completed Religion with the Leadership of Ali. Thus, those who do not show their submission to him, and his successors, who are my progeny, and born from his lineage and are going to continue until the Day of Resurrection, their actions will become useless in this world and in the world to come. And they shall remain in the Eternal Flame, so that not a single torment will be reduced from them, and no delay is granted to them. (The Cow: 2/161)
41. O people! This Ali is the most useful, and deserving, and the closest, as well is the dearest one to me! God Almighty and I are most pleased with him. Not a Verse of God's Satisfaction yet has been revealed, unless ‘he’ is the subject of it, and He did called out to the believers, unless ‘he’ was the first among to be called out! And there has been no Verse of praise unless Ali was meant. And in Chapter “(Man: 76/1), Hæl ætæ Illæl Ensān, Has a period of time not come over man …)” God has mentioned ‘heaven’ only for him; He has not revealed it or praised anyone but him.
42. ‘O people! He is the helper of the Religion of God,
So is he the defender of the Messenger of God;
He is the most pious, pure, and a sincere guide
To the Straight Path, to God he will guide.
Your Messenger is the best Messenger,
And his executor is the best executor,
So are his descendants the best executors!’”
“O people! The descendants of every prophet continue with his discordance, but my breed yet will be perpetuated with Ali's descendants, who are the believers’ Leader [and Attendant]!
43. O people! Indeed, with his jealousy, Satan chased away Adam from Paradise, thus, for God's sake, be not jealous of Ali, lest your deeds are rejected, and your steps slip. Adam was sent down to the earth for a single fault, while he was, in fact, the chosen one, by God; thus, how will it come to you? While you are no other than yourselves; and the enemies of God are also among you!
44. Know that no one becomes Ali's enemy, but who is cruel, and no one accepts his Leadership but one who is prospers and pious, and no one, but a virtuous believes him. I swear to God that the Chapter of (wæl-æsr: 103/1-2) has been sent down in regard with Ali, [which goes as]: ‘In the name of Allah (Who’s) the most Merciful Bountiful!
By the Era, (i.e.wæl-æsr), that man is indeed at a loss. Except for those, as Ali, who believes, and is first class.’”
45. “O people! I took God as my Witness that I have delivered His Message to you, and “The duty and the mission of a Messenger is but to make known God's Messages and to proclaim them the things crystal clear! (The Spider: 29/18, The Light: 24/54).
46. O, people! Be heedful of God in such a way that He deserves, and try to be honorable Muslims and then die.” (The Family of Imran: 3/102).
47. “O people! Believe in God and believe in His Messenger and in the Glorious [Book] which has been sent down with him, (Haggling: 64/8), before We blot out the faces and turn them backwards; or curse them as We cursed the People of the Sabbath – [The Jews who were to act wittingly against God] (The Woman: 4/47).
I swear to God that the true sense of this Verse is referred to a group of my companions whose names I know, but it is pity, I have been asked not to reveal their identity. Thus, behave you according to your hearts’ pleasure – whatever you feel: of love or hatred towards Ali.
48. O people! The Light, by God Almighty, is put inside me, and then inside Ali, and then inside his lineage, until Mahdi, the Upleft, who shall demand the Divine Right as well our left. For God has put us as an irrefutable Proof, before those who are careless, and disprove us; who are throughout the world as: traitors, usurpers, sinners, tyrants, and oppressors!
49. O people! I announce that I am God’s Messenger and before me, there were also other messengers. So, what if I should pass away, or be killed? Will you return backwards – turn on your heels? For one who turns backward, will not harm God, and God will reward those who are thankful and patient! (The Family of Imran: 3/144).
50. And know that indeed Ali, and after him my progeny, all from his linage, are perfect and deserve being praised.
51. O people! Do stop, and do not impress me the Islam you have embraced for your own, (The Chambers: 49/17), such action will indeed damage all your acts; and Almighty God will be annoyed with you. Then He will involve you in the Flame of Fire and the melted bronze, (The Mercy giving: 55/35), that is kept in store for you. For indeed God is on the look-out for you! (The Daybreak: 89/14).
52. O people! Soon after me, there will come to you some leaders, who will call you enter the Fire, then, on that Day of Judgement, there is no assistant to rise for their aid! (The Narration: 28/41).
53. O people! Know that both God and I detest such crowd.
54. O people! These men along with their disciples, and their companions and their followers, will be thrown in the lowest part of the Fire; see how horrible is the place of such proud! (The Bees: 16/29).
55. Know that they are the followers of ‘Manuscript’, thus, now each of you should look at his own manuscript.
56. O people! Now, I leave to you, [as documentation], the issue of the Leadership, and the succession, and its perpetuation in my lineage until the Day of Resurrection; I have passed on to you what I have been said to disclose, so that it becomes as a clear argument for those who are present and those who are absent; for those-who are here or not here-and those who are born, or even not born. Thus, those present today, should make this news known to those who are absent, that is, fathers [should tell it to] their sons, until the Day the Resurrection rises!
57. But soon after I am gone, there will be some who shall unfairly take the Leadership by force, then replace it with Monarchy. May God damn the usurpers and those who take [the trusteeships] by force, but, of course, when, at that moment, God unleashes the infernal Fire, and melted bronze on you, the jinn and Mankind, you will not have a helper to be kind to you! (The Mercy giving; 55 / 31-35).
58. O people! God will not leave you on your own, except He has separated the pure from the impure; and God will not let you know of the ‘Unseen’, (The Family of Imran: 3/179).
59. O people! There shall remain not a single land, which has not been destroyed by God’s Will before the coming of the Resurrection Day, it is for the abjurations and the denials that their inhabitants will have pronounced, and their places will be under the government of his holiness Mahdi, and God Almighty fulfills His Promise!
60. O people! Before your era, the most people of the older times went astray, and it was God’s will to destroy them all, and again it will be He Who will eliminate the on-coming generations. God Almighty, in His Book, has stated: ‘Did We not destroy the despots of the old? So shall We do with the later generations after them. Thus We deal with the men of errors. Ah! Woe that Day, to the Rejecters!’” (The Emissaries: 77/19).
61. “O people! God has stated me His exemption and restriction of certain things, and I also, by Divine Command, have ordained Ali the knowledge of it, and forbidden him [some things]. And [thus] the knowledge of ordaining and forbidding, remains with him; therefore, listen to his commands, so that to be safe, and obey him so as you may get on the course. Accept his Warning, so that to find the left direction, and walk on towards his ultimate destination! [Thus, beware] so as not to draw away from His Path into the diverted paths!” (Livestock: 6/153).
62. “O people! I am the Straight Path of God, whom He has ordained you to follow; and after me, it is Ali, and then my descendants, who shall be the Leaders of the Guidance and will guide you to the lefteousness and beauty.”
Then the Messenger of God announced:
‘In the name of Allah, (Who's) the most Merciful Bountiful
Praise be to God only Lord of the worlds,
The Source of Grace, Mercy, Fair, and the Force,
Ruler of the Day when Repayments begin,
Owner of the Day when the Decree’s given!
Alone You we worship, You only the Wise,
From You the Sublime we ask for the rise,
Lead us into Direct Path of all the roads,
The Path of the Right, for repayment, You chose,
Not of those who were dishonored, neither those
Disowned by Your anger; thrown off the course!’ (The Opening: 1-7).
And then he continued:
‘This Verse has been sent down regarding me, and the Imams are appointed and included in it. They are God’s Friends, and indeed they do not fear nor will they grieve! (Jonah: 10/62).
Ah, of course the party of God is victorious! (The Heavenly Food: 5/56).
63. Know that the enemies of the Imams are nothing but ignorant, who have been led astray from the Direct Path; they are the Demons’ allies, who bring nothing to people but bothering, insignificant and useless things, (Livestock: 6/112).
64. Know that God, in His Book, has expressed about the friends of the Imam, thus: ‘(O Prophet,) you find not a people believing in God, and the Last Day, yet showing love for those who oppose God, and His Messenger– even if they are their own fathers, sons, their brothers or anyone from their family connection. With such [people], God has engraved faith on their hearts. Assisted them with the spirit of His Own, and He will admit them into the gardens where streams flow by their trees, to live in [forever]. God will be pleased with them, and they are pleased with Him. They are the lovers of God. Ah! Victorious are the lovers of God!’ (The Pleading Woman: 58/22).
65. Know that the friends of the Imams are those believers who have been described in the Qur’an, as: ‘Those who have believed and not cloaked their faith in transgressing will feel more secure and will be guided.’ (Livestock: 6/82).
66. “Know that their friends are those who have achieved firm faith, and they have never doubted. (The Chambers: 49/15).
67. Know that the Imam’s friends are these who shall enter Paradise in peace, in great security, and the Angels will move humbly to their encounter to greet them thus: ‘Peace upon you! You are purified, so then enter forever into Paradise!’ (The Rocky Tract: 15/46).
68. Know that Paradise is the reward of their friends, where they shall receive extra provision. (The Believer: 40/40).
69. Know that their enemies will enter the Fire, (The Woman: 4/10),
70. And will hear the moaning and groaning flames, while the infernal Flames roars and blazes; they will hear afflicting horrible cries. (The Kingdom: 67/7).
71. Know that God has stated about their enemies, ‘Every time, when a nation enters the Fire, it will curse its own kind,’ as the Qur’an says, ‘Until when they have all caught up with one another, the last ones will say about the first ones: Lord, these (people) have misled us, so give them double chastisement from the Fire!’ [O Prophet,] say: ‘Each will have double, but you do not realize it.’ (The Heights: 7/38).
72. Know that the enemies of the Imams are those about whom God has stated as this: ‘When a group of them is cast into Fire, the Hell keepers, will ask them: "Did a Warner not come to you?" They will reply: ‘yes indeed, a Warner came to us, but we denied any of them, saying: “God has not revealed you anything and you are in a gross error.’” Then they say: ‘Had we listened to their advice and used our reason, we would have not been among the inhabitants of this Hell!’
After confessing their sins, it will be said to them: ‘So away with the abiders of the blazing Fire!’ (The Kingdom: 67/8-11).
73. Know that their friends fear their Lord in secret, thus, there will be immense reward for them. (The Kingdom: 67/12).
74. O people! How great is the gap between the Fire, and the great reward!
75. O people! God has damned and degraded our enemies but, He loves and praises our [close] friends.
76. O people! Know that I am here to warn you, and Ali is the man who will guide you!
77. Know that, I am a Warner and Ali is a Guide.
78. O people! Know that I am a Messenger, and Ali is my immediate successor.
79. O people! Know that I am the Messenger, and Ali is, after I am gone, my successor, and the holy Imams following him, his descendants are all of them.
And let it be known that I am their father, and they are Ali’s lineage, one after another!”
80. “Know that the last Imam, Mahdi, the Upleft, is from us,
He shall dominate over the entire religions.
Lo! As he shall take revenge from the oppressors, therefore,
He is the victorious destroyer of the castles!
Lo! He is the conqueror of all the-lack-of-religion, and their Guide!
81. Lo! He takes revenge for blood shed from the men of God!
Lo! He will assist the religion of God!
82. Know that, upon great measure, he shall seize [the Divine Knowledge] from the deep sea!
Know that! He shall reward every well-informed, by measure of his knowledge, and does so with the uninformed, by the measure of his ignorance!
Lo! He is great, and has been chosen by God!
Lo! He is the heir of all Knowledge, and he seizes upon all comprehension.
83. Know that he breaks the news from His God, and elevates the Divine Verses [in proud]!
Know that he is upleft and pride.
Lo! It is he that the entire authorities have been given to.
84. Lo! All ‘bygones’ had foretold of his "Revelation".
85. Lo! It is he who shall remain as an irrefutable Proof, for there will be, after him, not any proof. Faith and honesty, and light and glint are with him only.
86. Know that no one could defeat him, and those who are facing him, won’t be assisted.
Know that! He is the representative of God on Earth, so is he the Judge among His creatures, and he is the Honest Trustee of His over the hidden and manifest.”
87. “O people! I have illuminated you of God’s Meaning, and made you comprehend everything, and after I am gone, it is Ali’s duty to make you know [how to do your duty].
88. Now, after my sermon is ended, I shall invite you, as a sign of your faithfulness, to shake my hand, then Ali’s hand, as a sign of surrendering to him and accepting his ‘Leadership’!
89. Know that I have sworn with God an allegiance and Ali has sworn with me an allegiance; and now, on behalf of God the Mighty, Majestic [Himself], I shall ask for your allegiance with Ali:
“[O Messenger!] For sure, those who swear allegiance with you, in fact, they swear allegiance with God: God's Hand is above their hands; for any person, who breaks his oath, he does harm to his own soul; and anyone who fulfills his oath with God, he will be bestowed a great reward by God.’"
90. “O people! Pilgrimage to the House or visiting it is among God's religious rites; so let the pilgrims to Hajj or Umrah go round about them more. Anyone who voluntarily does some more good and decent deeds, God is indeed All-aware Appreciative. (The Cow: 2/158).
91. O people! Set out for the Pilgrimage in the House of God! For no one would enter the God’s House, without becoming free of needs, and rejoicing; and no one would turn away from It, without becoming poor and abolished!
92. O people! No believer shall stop at the Regions [of Arafaat-Mash'ar and Mina to fulfill the rites], unless God forgives his previous sins, but fate is that when his Pilgrimage, [Hajj], is completed, he makes a new start.
93. O people! Upon the Hajj pilgrims, the pilgrims are bestowed help, and they are compensated whatever they spend, for indeed, God does not waste away the reward of the virtuous!
O people! Journey to visit the House of God as pilgrims, with a perfect faith, and with a great grasp and knowledge! And do not ever come back from such holy Land, unless feeling quite repentance [in heart], and promising to stop committing sins:
94. O people! Perform prayer, and pay the due welfare tax, as God Almighty has ordained you to act; but if a long time has passed, and you have neglected or forgotten [them], then, Ali is your master, and he shall explain to you what to do. He is the very man that God Almighty has set up as His certain trustee after I am gone. He is from me, so am I from him.
He, as well as all those who will come to the world from my lineage, will answer to all your needs, and will let you know whatever you do not know.
95. Know that ‘the count of permissible and forbidden things’ is much more than I could reckon, and to present them to you in one single session: [but only know that] the permissible things are ordained to you, and the prohibited things are forbidden.
Therefore, I have been commanded to take your allegiance, and that you swear it with me, and shake hands with me, so that what I have declared you about Ali, the Lord of the believers, on God's behalf, and his successors who will follow him. The ones who shall be coming from my lineage, but also from the ‘Leadership’ and his lineage; this Leadership is designated alone for them; and the last ‘Leader’ will be ‘His Holiness Mahdi’, until the Day he shall meet the Lord of the Providence and Fate!
96. O people! In regard with all permissible things I have guided you to follow, and the forbidden things that I have prohibited you, there is no change at all, nor have I ever transformed them to other detail. Remember it well, keep it in your mind, and talk about this subject, and give councils to one another about it and try not to change, nor transform it!
I repeat what I have just told you: perform your prayer, and do pay the due welfare tax, encourage one another to do deeds which are good, and forbid whatever is forbidden and not good.
97. But let it be known that the greatest act of goodness is to understand deeply what I have just expressed, and to relay this to those who have not been present here today, and to invite them to accept this from me, and to forbid them to oppose or object to me! For, this is a Command coming from God Almighty, and from me; and no invitation to do good, nor any prohibition of unlawful deeds will be accomplished or done, unless with the presence of an innocent Imam!
98. O people! The Holy Qur’an makes it known to you that the Imams, who shall come after Ali, will be his progeny descendants, as I told you before, they are Ali’s or my descendants – all are from him and I. For He has put it in His Book thus: ‘He assigned the creed of Leadership among those who will follow him,’ (The Ornament: 43/28). I have also said that as long as you seize these two, ‘the Imams and the Qur’an’ you shall you go astray!
99. O people! Take care of your piety, [again] piety! And beware of the Hour of the Resurrection Day, as God Himself has said: ‘The Shaking of that awful Hour is a terrible thing’… (Pilgrimage: 22/1).
100. Do remember the Death, and the Divine Balances, and ‘Reckoning’ in the presence of the Lord of the Reward, and Punishment! Whosoever brings good deeds with him, shall receive his share of Reward, and whosoever with him brings his sins, will not have any share [to enjoy] in Paradise.”
101. “O people! You are too many to shake hands with me now! On the other hand, my Lord has commanded me to receive your oath and "word” regarding with Ali, Lord of believers, that I have declared; and about the Imams who shall come after him, as well those from my lineage and his lineage then – as I already defined it to you: they are my descendants, and are his lineage.
102. Therefore, say it altogether: ‘We did indeed hear your word and obey thus, and we are quite pleased, and shall submit us to what you have made known to us, with respect from our Lord, and from your part, about this subject of Ali, the Lord of the believers, and the Imams who will be born from his ‘Breed’. We swear allegiance with you, with our hearts, souls, tongues and our hands that we will live with this belief, and leave this world with this belief, and so will we rise on the Day of Judgement!
And we will not change it, nor will we transform it; we will not have any doubt, nor will we deny it; we will not let doubts or hesitations enter our heart, nor will we turn away from this oath, or break our covenant regarding what you have advised us with the Divine Preaching, Ali, Lord of the believers, and the Imams who will come after him; Hassan and Hussain; and the ones whom God has appointed to come after them.
Thus, a pledge and a covenant have been taken from us, and we have done it with our hearts, souls, tongues, minds and hands. Then, one who was able, pledged by shaking hands, but if not, with his tongue. And never shall we change this oath, or God may not Witness any transformation from us...! We shall make this news from you known to all those who are [either] close to us, or far from us: to our kids and relatives; and we shall take God as our Witness! And God is Sufficient in this evidence, and you are, in this oath, our witness.’”
103. “O people, what do you say now? God indeed hears every single call, and is aware of any hidden thought going on in your minds! Thus, whosoever receives guidance, it is for his benefit, and whosoever goes astray, it is only to his deficit. (The Throngs: 39/41).
And those who swear allegiance to you, they swear allegiance to God, for God's hand rests above their hands, (The Victory: 48/10).
104. O people, now, swear allegiance with God, and swear so with me; and swear allegiance with Ali, the Lord of the believers, and do swear allegiance with Hassan and Hussain, as well with the Imams who will surely follow them – those who hold ceaseless commands in this world and the world to come.
God certainly destroys those who tread on their oath, but He bestows His Grace upon those who are loyal and true. Therefore, one who breaks his oath, he abuses his soul, but one who fulfills his oath with God, God bestows on him a great Reward [of His]! (The Victory: 48/10).
105. O people! Repeat what I have told you to do, and greet Ali, as a great man who is ‘The Lord of the believers’, and confess: ‘We heard and obeyed! O our Lord, so, we beg Your Forgiveness, and our return is toward You!’ (The Cow: a part of 285).
And say: “All praise is to God Who led us to this; or else, we would never have been guided if God had not led us on. Surely the messengers brought (us) the Truth.”… (The Heights: 7/43).
106. O people! The virtues of Ali, the Son of Abu Talib, with God Almighty, Who has counted in the Holy Qur’an, are in certainly too many for me to cite them to you in this gathering! So, you should approve and confirm those who ground you of these qualities, and have the grasp of them!
107. O people! Whoever obeys God and His Messenger, and Ali, and the Imams, whom I have mentioned to you earlier, will achieve the greatest salvation! (The Coalition: 33/71).
108. O people! Those who anticipate, [being the first candidate], to swear him allegiance and to accept his Guardianship, and to greet him as the ‘Lord of the Believers’, will attain Salvation, and will dwell in the Gardens of Blessings!
109. O people! Say such a word that it satisfies God, for even if you, and all dwellers on the Earth, become unbelievers, no harm approaches God.
110. O God! Forgive those believers who believe in what I have commanded them to! And be wrathful against all those who deny, and the heretic sinners and:
Praise belongs to the Lord of all beings!”
In the quarter of the Masculine Proper,
Amid the rain of affection and favour,
There is no way to the immoral,
But only to the Reverent and Moral!
Fair copied and proofread:
on the Assigned Day of the Commander of the faithful, and the Highness Zahra (upon her be peace)
At 9 am, 15/11/1385
S. Hosein Hoseiny